Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Orange Blossom Pilsner "Florida's Honey" Beer

Let me just start out by saying that I am probably the laziest person I know. It's been almost a month and a half since the last blog and I have nothing to blame other than the fact that I am lazy. I am going to my damnedest to try and write at least one of these a week depending on my cash flow it may be every other week since I get paid bi-weekly but I am not going to let it be another 6+ weeks till I write another one, I hope. Now down to business...
I found this beer while browsing the selection at Publix, who actually has a decent selection of craft beers. I don't really know why I chose this beer other than the fact that I enjoy honey and figured why the hell not. I have never tried a beer made with honey so I had no idea what to expect. Here is what it looks like...
Photobucket
Price: 6.99/6pk 12oz bottles
ABV: 5.5%
Photobucket
Photobucket

When you look at the bottle you get this idea that the beer is gonna be pretty flavorful with the taste of Orange Blossom Honey. Everything from the box to the bottle would lead you to believe that. Well that's not the case. I opened the first bottle and poured it into a glass and took a smell expecting to get a whiff of honey fragrance, not so much. It had a slight floral smell but nothing that made me think honey. It had a nice white head and not a lot of carbonation bubbles. Here is what it looks like...
Photobucket
With my first sip I was half expecting my mouth to be overloaded with the taste of honey as if I had just squirted some of my Honey Bear Honey into my mouth. I know the box states it's not sweet but there is absolutely no honey taste to this beer at all. I was hoping for maybe an after taste of honey, still nothing. I have drank the entire six pack and not once did anything I tasted resemble the taste of honey. The beer is very lightly carbonated which gives it a very light taste and it's very easy to drink all six. There isn't much taste at all to this beer, hell, my wife who absolutely HATES beer took a few drinks of it and actually thought she might like it. I don't know why they have pictures of bees and honeycombs on their beer if it don't taste like honey. I probably could have done a little bit of research and got some more info as to why but it goes back to that lazy thing. Over all this beer is sub-par and very misleading. It did win a bronze medal at the 2004 Great American Beer Festival so apparently someone liked it but I did not. 
Here is the Facebook page for my blog if you wanna check that out click HERE.
Till next time (which shouldn't be as long)... 

No comments:

Post a Comment